Wiki Loves Earth
The Wikipedia photo contest around natural heritage
Sixth edition of international photo competition Wiki Loves Earth is now open for submissions
In 2013, the pilot version of Wiki Loves Earth was launched in Ukraine, with Wikipedia issuing a call out to the public to contribute their photographs of natural landscape from across the country licence free to their online database. Since then, the photo competition has expanded to over 50 countries and has collected more than 420,000 photographs from over 40,000 participants. And now, for the sixth time, Wiki Loves Earth is seeking photographs from across the world.
The purpose behind the competition is to gather photographs released under a free licence that enables their free use worldwide. The goal of Wikipedia is to make knowledge available to the world for free, and since natural heritage is part of knowledge, Wikipedia want to gather and release to the world free, usable photographs of natural heritage.
This year is the fourth time Pakistan has entered the international competition that began on May 1 and will run until the 31st. Pakistan is home to several beautiful natural sights that have even drawn foreigners towards them. Hence, there could be no better opportunity for anyone with a camera to capture these sites through their lens and show the world what we’ve got.
Participate in Wiki Loves Earth and get a chance to win a trip to Sweden in 2019
Participating in Wiki Loves Earth is really easy and straightforward. All you need to do is register an account on Wikipedia, and submit your entries using the upload now button below.
If you encounter problems entering, please feel free to drop us a line using the contact form below.
Once campaign is over, a panel of photographic experts will evaluate the best entries according to criteria of quality, originality and usefulness of the image to Wikipedia. Pakistani jury will nominate ten best photos from Pakistan for the international competition, which has its own jury. The first international winner will win travel scholarship (with a maximum value of $3,000) to attend the Wikipedia conference in Sweden in 2019.
The shortlisted photographs will be used to illustrate the relevant articles on Wikipedia, with a potential audience in the hundreds of millions.
In 2015, Pakistani photographer Zaeem Siddiq won first place in international Wiki Loves Earth and won the trip to Italy, with paid travel and accommodation expenses. Check out his TV interview.
A few guidelines to be aware of
• The theme of the photo competition is "Northern Pakistan".
• All photographs must be taken by the person submitting them. No copyright photos will be allowed. Photos uploaded by anyone else than author (even with permission) are not accepted. Contestants as well entries that constitute copyright infringement and fraud will be disqualified.
• Photographs with watermarks, copyright symbols, signatures and timestamp are not allowed and could disqualify a potential winning entry.
• Upload the photographs during the campaign period (May 1 - May 31, 2018).
• Images can be any resolution, however the images must be at least 2 Megapixels (1600x1200) to be considered for judging.
• Participation in the competition is free of charge and there is no limit to the number of images that can be entered. We would advise however, that you be selective and only upload your best shots!
Are you a member of the press and interested in helping us improve Wikipedia's coverage on Pakistan? We’d be delighted if you could help us share news of the campaign.
Are you interested to partner or collaborate with us in our future endeavors? (only organisations)
Or maybe you just have some questions as a participant.
Whatever the case, get in touch with us!